Anti Smacking in NZ


I used to be against the anti smacking bill which was made into law not too long ago here in NZ. It infuriated me how such a law could stifle every parent's right to discipline their own, and can go to jail for it too.
However I changed my mind. I am 100% for it now, after realising how important that could be for the children. Yeah, never mind the parents in this case- the kids are more valuable than our personal opinions.

NZ is now gaining reputation for having violence and abuse towards children. Everytime I read a newspaper, there is always something about child abuse and it's not amusing to read. It's the type of abuse that can only be described as disturbing and inhumane.

Again, now I've just read of a teenage mother who stabbed her 2 year old son in the stomach and then used a pillow to suffocate the poor child. Last year, one of the major scandals that rocked the country was when twin Maori babies were reportedly killed by their own dad and the family had done a cover up too. Nobody spoke to the press, they claimed it was cot death, etcetera...
I honestly wonder why? why the heck is this going on ? this kind of behaviour is abnormal and not acceptable ! and yet there is an evolving pattern that is turning into a phenomena. An ugly phenomena.

Baby Nia, poor baby Nia- I could hardly write this without my eyes watering but what her Mum, her partner including the brother & the father of the partner did to her was just terrible and heartbreaking. They were convicted, guilty and I wish they rot in jail. Yeah, without batting an eyelash I really hope they stay in jail for a long, long time.
The details of Nia's abuse is too gruesome for me to write, it creates an uncomfortable sadness inside. So, I decided to just give the link for anyone interested:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4737546a11.html
It's just one of the many stories told about her. The only consolation I feel now is that she is at peace in heaven with God and the gulity parties I hope will age in jail, without parole.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree, I don't think the law will do anything to curb child abuse. Smacking is a personal discipline choice and people who are going to abuse their children aren't going to stop because of an anti-smacking law.

Erin said...

Yes, you are right too- parents won't stop smacking their kids which is in a way their God given right BUT down here it's a different story, they murder and torture innocent children to death and the government was desperate to come up with an instant solution- hence, the anti-smacking bill was born. I uess it was passed to impress an effect of threat to any offender, to say the least, that there are legal consequences to child abuse and NZ is crossing their fingers that this message is sent across.