Buy Local !


NZ has been fussing lately about encouraging people to buy local & for the right reasons as well. China had obviously taken world domination in the aspect of man power, everything I can lay my eyes on is made in China! from the branded & labelled down to the generic stuff...hmmm, whether it's a good thing or bad, I'm not entirely sure, however, quality control seems to be inexistent in that side of the world, dare I say. Perhaps no one would argue with me especially with all that bad news such as the melamine ingredient they mix in with NZ milk (tsk,tsk), how horrific indeed...especially when I found out, how my favourite White Rabbit lolly with that glorious melt in your mouth wrapper is actually melamine!
But that's just one example- it was discovered how clothes & fabrics made in that same country were treated with chloroform (usually used to embalm & preserve cadavers, ugh!), toys contained lead, luncheon meats were made from diseased pigs and so on & so forth...
I have to stop, cause it's making me feel queasy in the tummy, anyway-
Veges & fruit are now labelled with the country of origin which is interesting to see- ahh, this banana is from Ecuador, Dole pineapple from the Philippines etcetera...quite educational in fact (chuckle...).


Yeah, well, okay, I get it that we need to buy local to support the not-so-thriving local industry (I have yet to see an abundance of NZ made products), but that's the problem because local isn't competing well. Labour is expensive here, compared to overseas where businesses shell out half the cost of man power or even less...it's just practical. Makes sense especially for investors who'd do anything to cut costs & still incur significant profit.
Consumers in kiwiland are 'informed' consumers- that means we just don't buy stuff, we actually are conscious of what's in a product and whether it's a healthy option or not. ideally, products should keep up with being clean & green.

Still, for every country it is good to patronize your own, it's doing our bit- albeit a small contribution in supporting the local economy and I'm a 100% for that. If you aske me. well why not? local will always be fresher & for NZ- healthier! thanks to OSH & the commendable clean and green mentality of Kiwis.
Sweet as...

0 comments: