"Foot in Mouth Disease"

Photobucket


I'm pretty sure I have enough tact in me to last me a lifetime because my Mum brought me up this way, but even that doesn't spare me from having my dumb moments- moments when I truly, honestly wish the ground would open up & swallow me whole!
There was this time at school when I saw a former classmate and I was so excited & I chatted with them and well, one of them used to be so slender & now she has gained weight- erm, enough weight that I assumed she was pregnant (gulp!). So, you can probably guess what happened next:
I put my hand over her tummy & asked her innocently, how many months is she on the way? and the curve of her smile straightened, her face turned red and she was speechless. I was too because it suddenly dawned on me that my stupid assumption was wrong ! ( darn it! ) Me and my big mouth!
Well, I said sorry and quickly turned round, picked up my pace & wished I could've rewinded the whole event & I would have put my foot in my mouth where it belongs! She didn't talk to me for awhile after that & I don't blame her at all. I felt bad though and I was really glad when she got over it and started to say 'hi' again to me. I learned my lesson: wieght gain is not equivalent to pregnancy & to keep my mouth shut at all times (chuckle...).

Another incident at another time with another friend:


Catching up with an old chum at a bookstore (where she worked) and she mentioned that she is going overseas, to Aussie and do her training there...and so after browsing awhile I said goodbye and told her "I'll meet up with you for coffee before you go over to Australia" and I was surprised when she ducked, turned red, and she came over to where I was and told me that her boss doesn't know yet about her plan to move and the woman beside her, was her boss!
See? another foot-in-my-mouth-moment. Great. I seem to have a knack for Freudian slips.

Hate it when stuff like that happens, unintentional but still...hmp.

0 comments: