Just being Nursy!

Well, the past few weeks were interesting ones and I hope this week will again be. I got an rsvp invite to a COPD respiratory presentation and dinner function on wednesday at the elite Mills Reef Resto but I'm not sure I will be going...I may be the only student nurse there, that's why. It's an Ingelheim-Boerhinger (a pharma company) funded event for educators and health professionals and an rsvp too, I got handed a one of three exclusive invites by chance because as I was having tea in the staff lounge, the pharma rep. was there and we got engaged in a lively conversation about pharmacology. I guess she took a shine on me and voila- got the invite! (chuckle...) anyways, I was sorta' flattered and torn because firstly- it is an opportunity to make connections and to be able to hear experts talk about something relevant to what I actually am studying is ultra cool :) and not everyone get to go...but I guess not knowing anybody there is kind of scary too and well, yeah- a tad bit intimidating.
Hmm, what to do? hmm....yeah, well I'll make up my mind soon. I probably need to sleep on it tonight.

LAST WEEK:
I assisted in a vasectomy surgery & it was very interesting, not the anatomy bit (ha,ha,ha) but how men react to having it done, you know? the patient was all nervous about it, he kept chatting away whilst the surgeon, clamped and clicked away at the tubes that needs to be cut (did that came out right?). Hmm.
- Another patient who had psychiatric problems went in to have her arm stitched- because the afternoon before she cut her arm open with a razor, the 2nd time! (ouch!!!!!). So, she was bleeding all night? I asked her & she said yep, that she was starting to get dizzy (obviously, she lost a lot of blood...) and so she decided to come in and have it sorted. Ahuh, and the fresh 6 inch cut was alongside a week older 8 inch razor cut...man, her wound was stinking from the clotted and still bleeding wound. At the end of the stitching and I was left to clean and dress her wound, she handed me her pouch containing 3 razor blades with a smile and walked off (gulp). Nice.
- I have immunized babies, older people and a school staff, yey!
- Went on a 'prime call' sort of a 111...
what else? a lot went on for me last week and it was a great learning curve. Looking forward to another week.
In the meantime, apart from the gross stories I have shared, I've posted one of my fave songs, a classic one-hope you like it:

0 comments: